You Save: 33%
This product requires a prescription
Cefazolin is an antibiotic closely related to penicillin in how it kills bacteria. However, cephalosporins like cefazolin have a much broader range of activity against bacteria than penicillins. This drug prevents bacteria from forming a protective cell wall, resulting in the instability, and subsequent death, of the bacteria. This drug is not approved for use in animals by the Food and Drug Administration but it is prescribed legally by veterinarians as an extra-label drug.
Who's Cefazolin For?
- Used in dogs and cats to treat a variety of bacterial infections, including skin infections, wound infections, bone infections, pneumonia, and bladder infections
- Available only as an injection and is typically administered in a hospital setting
Side Effects and Warnings
- Cefazolin should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug
- If your pet is already sensitive to other cephalosporin drugs (cefadroxil) or penicillins (amoxicillin, ampicillin), cross-reaction with cefazolin is possible
- Cefazolin may interact with other medications, such as other antibiotics. Consult with your veterinarian to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving could interact with cefazolin
- The most common side effect in animals is vomiting shortly after administration. It is usually not a sign of serious disease, but indicates that the pet is sensitive to this drug
- Consult your veterinarian regarding any allergies your pet may have, and any other side effects of this medication
Use as directed by your veterinarian