About Buspirone Hcl
Buspirone Hcl is used to treat behavioral disorders in dogs and cats, including fearful behavior. Unlike other anti-anxiety medications, buspirone does not have any muscle relaxant or anti-seizure properties. Binding strongly to serotonin receptors in the brain, buspirone reduces anxiety and can even cause mild sedation. While this drug is not approved for use in animals by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), it may be prescribed legally by veterinarians as an extra-label drug.
Who's Buspirone Hcl For?
- For use in dogs and cats
- Helps to manage anxiety or phobia related behaviors
Side Effects and Warnings
- Buspirone should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug
- This drug should be used with caution in working dogs as it may affect their performance
- This drug should not be used in animals that have been diagnosed with liver or kidney disease
- Buspirone may interact with other medications
- Some side effects including increased friendliness, playfulness, agitation, and/or aggression
- Consult your veterinarian regarding any allergies your pet may have, and to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving could interact with buspirone,
Buspirone Hcl Directions
Use as directed by your veterinarian