Azathioprine is an immunosuppressive drug normally used to treat autoimmune diseases. Specifically, it treats conditions involving the skin, blood, or multiple body systems. Azathioprine effectively treats hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia, arthritis, chronic liver inflammation, inflammatory bowel diseases, and myasthenia gravis.
You will notice positive responses in your pet in about three to six weeks. If your pet suffers from one of these autoimmune conditions or from Inflammatory Bowel Disease, this medication will help keep your pet healthy. Rest easy knowing that with Azathioprine, you can care for your pet in exactly the way they need.
Key Benefits of Azathioprine
- Treats autoimmune diseases by suppressing the pet's normal immunity
- Treats Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Easy to administer tablet
Who's Azathioprine For?
Usually needs to be given long term.
Azathioprine, USP 50mg
Side Effects and Warnings
Side effects of azathioprine include:
- Suppression of bone marrow which may cause:
- Pale gums
- Increased risk for infection due to decreased white blood cells.
- Skin rash
Use as directed by your veterinarian.
Azathioprine should be given with food.