Amantadine is an antiviral agent used to relieve pain. It may be used in combination with other pain relievers for optimum benefit. Available as 100 mg tablets and as an oral solution, Amantadine can be used as an antiviral medication against influenza, but is often used in combination with pain relievers to improve their effects.
Who's Amantadine For?
- Treats arthritis pain
- Treats neuropathic pain (chronic pain due to nerve injury)
- Can be used as an antiviral agent
Side Effects and Warnings
- Caution should be used in pets with kidney disease, seizure disorders, behavioral disorders, liver disease or congestive heart disease
- Pets with untreated glaucoma and pregnant or nursing animals should not use Amantadine
- Potential side effects include nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, flatulence, diarrhea, and agitation
- Humans report various mental side effects, for example, hallucinations and dizziness
- Some diuretics ('water pills'), quinidine (heart medication) and trimethoprim sulfa (antibiotic), can potentially increase the effect of Amantadine.
- Antihistamines and similar drugs together with Amantadine can cause difficulty urinating, a 'dry mouth' and an increased heart rate.
- Drugs that increase activity or stimulation levels may increase the agitation side effect sometimes seen with Amantadine
- Consult your veterinarian regarding any allergies your pet may have, and any other side effects of this medication
Use as directed by your veterinarian